Thursday, September 10, 2015

Macrosociology and Microsociology


How can I see macrosociology in my life? I see it on the level that I am a teenager that goes to school and I’m a male, and I live in a rural area. All of the things I listed are the aspects of my life that are macrosociological. They all show the large scale groups I could be categorized in. How can people view me or themselves in these categories? They need to look at all of the large groups they fit into and then figure out where they belong.  Another type of sociological breakdown is called microsociology. With this type of sociological outlook it searches deeper into the groups I may have mentioned earlier and it looks more into the detail aspect. Such as who has facial hair, who has white teeth, who has been injured in their life, and who has blue eyes, the list goes on and on but my point is it’s all a deeper type of thought other than the huge general macrosociological ideas of the big groups. Now I will show you an example of how these fit into the way we look at things in life.

So now I will relate this to our life boat worksheet. One of the macrosociological groups you could say was all the people included in the shipwreck; another group could be all of the shipwreck survivors, then on to a different group of the survivors that made it to the life boat. Now looking into the survivors on the life boat you can use your microsociological skills to look deeper into the group and notice the people that are hurt, the people that are weak, the people that are strong, and the people that seem ok but may not be much help. Now when it came to kicking people off the boat this is how we used the process of elimination to get rid of them, we looked deeper into microsociology and found out the little things to help us make our decision.

We may not always use these two types of sociologies for good most of the time it can be related to stereotyping and can be used as a harmful way to look at groups and classify them but whether you realize it or not it is the way we look at things in our everyday life, and it is the way we always will until the day we die.

No comments:

Post a Comment